|Wild Mushrooms on Toast|
2 ounces imported dried wild mushrooms
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp Creme Fraiche or sour cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of sweet Hungarian paprika
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
12 slices French bread
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a small saucepan, simmer the mushroom in 2 cups of water until soft,
about 40 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon.
Strain the cooking liquid through a coffee
filter and set aside. Pat the mushrooms dry with paper towels and finely chop
2. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms
and onion and sauce, stirring for 15 minutes
3. Sprinkle with the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in 1/4 cup of the reserved mushroom cooking liquid and
simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more
4. Stir in the creme fraiche and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Simmer for
2 more minutes and remove from the heat
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
6. Preheat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
Add the bread slices and lightly brown, about 1 minute on each side
7. Heap some of the mushroom mixture on each bread slice.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes
8. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately